There are going to be obvious Game of Thrones spoilers ahead, so I’m going to go ahead and talk for a bit before we get to them. Nice weather we’re having, huh? Yeah, I’m glad it’s getting warm again too.
Okay, now that that’s out of the way, we get can to what we’re all thinking about, the Purple Wedding. King Joffrey is dead at long, long last, which was one of the most satisfying onscreen deaths I’ve ever seen. Poison may have been “too good for him,” but seeing his face dissolve into a mess indicated that perhaps, it was not.
Now the question is…who did it? We have no overt answer. No “the Lannisters send their regards” as it were.
Here are the suspects.
– The Martells. Big grudge against the Lannisters for ordering the deaths of their wee baby grandchildren during the overthrow of the Targaryens. Good at working with poison, I believe.
– The Tyrells. Seemingly allies of the Lannisters, but may want more power for themselves. Had plenty of chances to poison the win between Olenna, Margaery and Loras.
– Sansa. Obviously hates Joffrey more than life itself for his hand in her family’s death. The one we all want to have exacted revenge.
– Ser Dontos. Was embarrassed and almost killed by Joffrey, and seems to know what’s going to happen before it happens, ushering Sansa away.
– Tyrion, the obvious suspect and the one being accused, though really, would a killer stand around looking confused while holding the poison goblet? Come on.
– Tywin. Seems unlikely, but maybe Tywin was tired of Joffrey’s crap, and now his more moldable grandson Tommen is in charge.
– The unseen whisperers like Varys, Pycelle and Petyr Baelish, the latter of which hasn’t been seen so far this season, but is always scheming.
And really, the list goes on, though I think that covers the major players. If you’ve read the books and know the answer, please refrain from spoiling it for everyone! Post your guesses in the comments.
[Photo via Neil Davidson/HBO]