And so it begins. Tonight’s 150th episode of How I Met Your Mother started the the physical and geographic dissolution of some of our favorite friends on television.
In this monumental episode, Marshall and Lily did it…they officially moved to Long Island. And with their departure from the city, Barney appointed himself leader of the group, fresh with his own set of awesome credits. Remember that amazing idea he had Ś every night since 2005 Ś to go to a strip club…well it’s a go since Lily can no longer say ‘no!’
This brought us the return of Stripper Lily, Jasmine, the one-of-a-kind Lily’s Russian doppelganger. Save for some awkward moments between Kevin and Robin that were nowhere near as funny as intended, the scenes at the strip club and the poker game were pretty great.
Josh Radnor was his most likeable and amusing as drunk Ted, especially with his rendition of ‘We built (chip) city” and his voicemail to Marshall and Lily. The third set of credits of the night featuring new best friends, Stripper Lily and New Marshall was also quite entertaining.
As for Marshall and Lily, they were continuing to deal with Lily’s father Mickey (guest star Chris Elliot) who returned in a poignant moment at the end of ‘Tailgate’and has been staying with them in the ‘śburbs ever since. Mickey was annoying as all heck telling Marshall and Lily what to do in every room of the house to the point where they told him he had to go. So when Marshall accidently blew a fuse, Mickey decided to get all creepy and spook him out around the house before finally succumbing to his daughter’s pleas and helping her husband out. Let’s just say Jason Segel’s face in night vision made for quite a hilarious treat.
At the end, the gang ended up together as they should be around Lily and Marshall’s kitchen booth. While they may not be at MacLaren’s and may not all live in the same zip code anymore, these friends proved tonight, they’re simply better when they’re together.
Some additional thoughts:
- The whole ‘new relationship chicken’storyline didn’t work for me at all. It was painful to watch Robin and Kevin throw out lines like ‘Money ain’t no thing’and ‘Make it rain’in the strip club. The chemistry for them just isn’t there. Is anyone else buying the two as a couple?
- February sweeps is looking like a big month for HIMYM according to this great interview with Carter and Bays over at The Hollywood Reporter. I’m excited to see some of these developments get under way.
Quips of the night:
- ‘Tonight is going to be legen Ś Wait, are we sure it’s a good idea to go to a strip club? Ś Shut up Lily, I’m in charge now Ś dary.’Ś Barney
- ‘You know Butterfly knife, I’d expect this from Face Tattoo, or Jagged Cheek Scar or Larry, but not you – Why don’t I get nickname? (Larry) Ś Because you have too many things Larry! You get one thing!’Ś Ted
- ‘Don’t let me be in charge of the gang anymore.’Ś Barney (crying)
- ‘We got to hit that party. (In a quiet voice) I’ll never find love.’Ś Ted
- ‘We’re going to go see only Marshall and one-of-a-kind Lily because they’re our best friends and only 46 minutes away.’Ś Ted
- ‘Our booth was where ever the five of us were together. ‘Ś Future Ted
So what did everyone else think? How do you feel about Lily and Marshall finally making the move to the burbs? Let us know in the comments below!