When you hear David Shore and medical drama in a sentence together, your first thought is House, not his latest The Good Doctor. And with good reason. House was a phenomenon that took the world by storm. This show was the most watched in the world at one point. It was David Shore’s biggest hit.
So naturally, it was hard not to compare the two while watching. This new show isn’t House but there were definitely some aspects that were very reminiscent of the FOX hit. Here are five of them:
- The main actor is British playing up an American accent. Freddie Highmore is an English actor who was last scene on Bates Motel. On The Good Doctor he’s playing off an American accent. Remind you of someone else? Yes, Hugh Laurie masterfully played up his American accent as House so much so that the casting director didn’t know he was English at first.
- The show is about a genius doctor that no one wants to work with. With House he wasn’t very well liked because of his temperament. Dr. Shawn Murphy has autism and the medical community isn’t ready for a surgeon with Autism. They feel as though he’s going to harm a patient.
- Which brings me to point 3, there is a doctor who is an asshole. House was the asshole himself, in The Good Doctor this superlative goes to the attending in charge.
- They’re both teaching hospitals. Of course, The Good Doctor is focusing more on surgery than diagnostics. More Grey’s Anatomy less House in that sense.
- Dr. Claire Browne has a Dr. Cameron vibe going on. She cares for the patients. She’s clearly the nicest on the team and wants only sex and not a relationship with her colleague — the colleague in question is also a kiss ass like Chase was.
- Bonus similarity — the title page was very “Houseian.” The profile view of a person’s brain? Come on, get a little more original.
Watching The Good Doctor definitely brought back the House feels. For those of you who weren’t happy with how it ended this was almost like a punch to the gut in a way. It looked like a relatively good show. The plot is interesting, but will it live up to the OG? Doubt it. But the question remains, does David Shore have a type?
The Good Doctor airs on ABC, Monday nights at 10PM.