Even though this news had already been confirmed by Canada, we now have the official word from FX. The network’s horror series, The Strain, has been renewed for a second season.
The new FX series, which comes from executive producers Guillermo del Toro and Lost‘s Carlton Cuse, is coming back for a 13-episode season two. The new season of The Strain, which reportedly was watched by almost 13 million total viewers the night of its premiere, will debut (like season one of the series) in summer 2015.
“It is thrilling when you have a show that is a creative and commercial hit, which is a rare accomplishment in this increasingly crowded marketplace,” said John Landgraf, CEO of FX Networks and FX Productions, when making the announcement today. “We look forward having [The Strain] on FX for as long as Carlton, Guillermo and Chuck Hogan need to tell this epic tale.”
Although he and fellow Lost showrunner Damon Lindelof have been greatly criticized for how they ended the infamous ABC drama, Cuse has insisted that there is already a plan in place for how long The Strain will air.
“The plan is that the show will run somewhere between three and five seasons,” Cuse said back in July. “We’re writing to an endpoint, following the path as established in the novels, but obviously there’s a lot that is going to be added. The television show is its own experience. The show and the book can each be separately enjoyed.”
The season one finale of The Strain is slated to air on Sunday, October 5th on FX.
Photo via FX