The Vampire Diaries panel at Comic-Con is always one of the best panels there is to attend at the convention. Hottest cast on TV, twists and turns, amazing writing…the show can’t be beat. This year Nina Dobrev, Ian Somerhalder, Paul Wesley, Steven R. McQueen, Zach Roering, Julie Plec were on hand to discuss what we can look forward to in the next season now that Elena is vampire.
Co-creator and executive producer Kevin Williamson moderated the panel with over 150 pages of questions he received on Twitter.
Here are some highlights from the sexy and often hilarious panel:
- Talking about the fourth season, Plec says, ‘One of the greatest things that we discovered while putting stories together is that everything feels fresh. There’s this wonderful core of character. ‘We can expect ‘a lot of deep emotional and twisted stuff’as they enter their senior year of high school.
- Now that Elena is a vampire things are going to be a bit different for Dobrev. She says, ‘It’s going to be tricky and I’m going to be discovering it as I go along. She is going to be defined by her experiences.’
- Paul enjoyed playing ‘˜bad’Stefan. ‘When I got to play the ripper season 3, it was a relief in some way. He was so good to a flaw…’that he really felt that his personality couldn’t be real.
- Plec says that Matt Davis does contractually have permission from his new show, Cult, to come back to The Vampire Diaries for some episodes and that obviously the whole cast would love to have him back.
- Steven R. McQueen was hilarious throughout the panel cracking jokes in response to most questions. He told the crowd his favorite episode from last year was episode 10 because he got to use a crossbow and chop someone’s head off.
- Dobrev loved the underwater scenes she shot for the finale saying ‘you feel like you’re in a big action movie’and remarked that she ‘felt like a badass doing it.’
- Julie’s favorite scene to watch from last season was the candelight vigil for Alaric because ‘I loved it as a character goodbye but also loved what each of these guys brought into it.’
- When asked to tell us one thing about each panelist that we don’t know about, Julie Plec gave the following descriptions: Steven is ‘a goofball with a heart of gold.’Zach has grown up into a ‘true man and a true, true soul and hunts turkeys’Paul is ‘the funniest person I’ve ever met.’Nina is ‘going to rule the universe.’Ian has done more things than any person ever joking that ‘I think at one point he sat down with Jesus Christ.’Michael is one of the most loyal people I’ve ever met.
- As Elena and Katherine, Dobrev says she ‘feel like I’ve made out with everyone in the cast.’If she could choose someone she hasn’t yet kissed, she thinks that Katherine should make out with Elijah. Roering joked that he and Sherrif Forbes should get together.
- It was hard for the cast member to figure out what the worst part of their job is but Michael Trevino went so far to say the best and worst part of it is the ‘cookies.’While they’re delicious, needing to take your shirt off all the time requires you to resist and how much does that suck?
The 4th season of The Vampire Diaries returns on October 11th on the CW at 8pm. We’ll have more spoilers from the press room on Sunday morning.