It’s kind of hard to believe that it’s been 20 years since Family Guy first aired. A lot of us were probably still in our teens when this show first came on the air, while a good number of us were old enough to think “Oh good, another one.” Remember when The Simpsons was considered to be something worth banning in some peoples’ opinion? Family Guy raised the bar even higher, or lowered it depending on your outlook, and despite the opposition to it from some the show never really went away since it was deemed as one of the more successful programs that had ever been released on TV.
The family dynamic here is perhaps one of the most messed-up of all time since the father, Peter, is a blithering idiot and doesn’t really make any headway in disproving this notion throughout the series. But he’s got this strange charm that allowed him to meet and fall in love with a woman like Lois. Even more amazing is that the writers thought it would be a great idea to make three kids and a dog, each with their own unique personalities and each with their own share of issues. That’s not even getting into the other characters that helped to make the show a walking cluster of one-liners and stereotypes that were touted out to the fans on a regular basis.
Stewie and Brian were often a kind of team that weren’t seen too far from one another for a while, though eventually it was seen that they could make do on their own occasionally. But Brian, the family dog that can be understood by the family and is an aspiring writer as well as a heavy drinker, seems to be the only one that can understand Stewie when he speaks. The rest of the family seems to think he’s just babbling as babies do. Meg, oh Meg, is the middle child and is treated like it more often than not since the type of neglect she’s shown would be grounds for child services to come in and yank her out of the home, while Chris is something between a wimp, a geek, and a hopeless nerd that has some potential but is still kind of hard to figure out at times.
Their neighbors, Joe, Cleveland, and Quagmire, are all unique in their own way as well, and are perhaps the closest of characters since they show up the most often. Joe, the police officer, is simply over the top when it comes to the level of aggression he can reach, while Cleveland is the most laid back person on the the show. In fact it’s been rare to see Cleveland ever lose his temper and when he does he’s downright scary. Quagmire on the other hand is the kind of guy you might be afraid to touch simply because there’s no telling where his hands have been at any given moment. But put together with the Griffin’s these and many of the other characters on the show have formed a very dysfunctional world in which things happen all the time and the most confrontational moments are usually shrugged off as though they’re a natural occurrence and not worth taking notice of for more than a few fleeting seconds. And yet it works.
That’s right, the whole show has been working for people for two decades now and despite any and all protests about the show being worth next to nothing there have been enough people out there that have begged to differ and have ponied up the money and the interest to make it worth Seth MacFarlane’s time to keep going with this long-running project. With that in mind here are a few quotes from the show that might bring back a few interesting and funny memories throughout the years.
20. “I’m in shape. Round is a shape.”-Peter Griffin
19. “Well I’d love to stay and chat but you’re a total b***h.”-Stewie Griffin
18. “I’m not addicted to smoking. I just keep a couple every hour or so, so I don’t go insane.”-Peter Griffin
17. “Get back in here and love me!”-Stewie Griffin
16. “When you poop in your dreams, you poop for real.”-Peter Griffin
15. “Meg, clean out the shower next time you shave your legs. It’s like a carpet in there.”-Peter Griffin
14. “Look, we got four of the five main characters on this ship. I think we’ll be fine.”
13. “Just stick your head in there and pretend it’s a butt!”-Meg Griffin
12. “Nooo…”-Cleaning Lady
11. “Shut up Meg.”-Peter Griffin
10. “It’s peanut butter jelly time!”
9. “I’ve seen some things man, and some stuff! I wouldn’t recommend it.”-Homeless Crippled Vet
8. “Dance puppets, dance!”-Stewie Griffin
7. “I hate you all!”-Meg Griffin
6. “My God, I’m a tomato!”-Mayor West
5. “Oh boy. I miss the old days when it was just a flaming bag of poop and a hurtful note.”-Mort
4. “Rock their world!”-Joe
3. “That’s nasty.”-Cleveland
2. “Giggity-giggity.”-Glenn Quagmire
1. “Oh my God, who the hell cares?!”-Peter Griffin
Obviously quite a few people. Ooh giggity.